Wednesday, April 15, 2015
Just stop and smell the roses." My grandmother would give me this time-honored advice as a young girl. She also gave me my love of the rose. Her huge rose gardens were her pride and passion and I loved helping her tend them when I visited her. Needless to say, the rose is my all-time favorite flower. There are many different types and varieties that thrive in our Northern Arizona climate. The following are the types you'll find at our garden center and the other local centers in our quad cities area.
• Hybrid tea roses have well- formed blooms and sturdy canes. They are excellent garden plants suitable for cutting gardens, single plantings or in mixed beds with other perennials, shrubs and roses.
• Grandiflora roses are similar to hybrid teas in habit and size and are often grouped with the Hybrid teas for convenience. Grandifloras generally are tall plants that present their blooms in clusters rather than as on-per-stem.
• Floribunda roses are excellent roses to use in your landscape. Where hybrid teas typically carry only one bloom per stem, Floribundas present their blooms in clusters or sprays. They are excellent roses for landscaping as they are shorter than hybrid teas and they produce profuse clusters of blooms from spring until the first frost. Many floribundas have an upright habit making them a great choice for a low hedge or border.
• Climbing roses are very versatile. You'll find hundreds of ways to include them in your garden. Along a fence, climbing poles, pillars, trellises, arches, or even covering the side of a house.
• Landscape shrub roses are easy to care for and are beautiful in the home landscape. They offer repeat flowering color throughout the season without the burden of heavy maintenance. They provide a wide range of growth habits that will fit into formal or informal gardens.
• Miniature roses are hardy and easy to grow. These compact roses bloom from spring until fall. They perform well when used as a border and are spectacular in containers. The many vibrant colors will add a pop of color to your home garden or landscape.
• Tree roses offer a variety of unique ways to add color to your home or garden. They look great around a patio and offer a cheerful greeting when used to outline the entrance to your home or garden.
Plant roses where they will get at least six hours of sun daily. Plant in well-draining soil, amended with compost or peat moss and gypsum. Use generous spacing to allow for good air circulation, which will help in reducing mildew, black spot and other foliage diseases. Regular fertilizing, with a systemic insecticide included, is needed to produce the most gratifying results and to keep the pests at bay. Water deeply and regularly during the growing season. Inadequate watering inhibits growth and bloom.
Annual pruning of your roses will contribute to the health, productivity and longevity of your roses. The basic objective is to promote strong growth that will bear good flowers. The best time for pruning roses is at the end of the dormant season when growth buds begin to swell. In our quad-city area, where late frosts are common, be sure not to prune too early. The resulting new growth will be vulnerable to freezes. Prune conservatively, pruning out wood that is dead or has no healthy growth coming from it as well as any unproductive old canes. The ideal result is a V shaped bush with a relatively open center.
And most important of all... don't forget to stop and smell the roses!
Susie Burgin is the owner of Earthworks Garden Center and Landscape Supplies at 2531 N. Hwy. 89 in Chino Valley. Visit www.earthworksgardensupply.com.
Tuesday, March 10, 2015
Earthworks has been the Quad Cities and Northern Arizona’s premier Landscape Supply House and Garden Center for more than 17 years. We have a large selection of decorative rock for landscape ground cover as well as rip rap rock, flagstone and boulders for landscaping accents. We also carry soils, mulches and aggregate materials in bulk to pick up at our yard or for delivery to you. Our large selection of trees, shrubs, flowers, roses, veggies, fruit trees, grapes and berries are selected for our climate and their beauty. Our Garden Center is your “One Stop Shop” for all your landscape and gardening needs. We carry a complete line of irrigation and drainage materials, weed fabric, weed and pest control products, fertilizers, railroad and guard rail ties, and much more. We also carry many decorative items such as fountains, bird baths, Tala vera pottery, yard and garden art to name a few. Come on by, our friendly and knowledgeable staff is ready to help you with ideas and advice in completing whatever project you are working on!
Plants and Trees:
Earthworks carries 100’s of varieties of Trees and Shrubs both Evergreen and Deciduous that thrive in our High Desert Climate. With too many to list, some of our best-selling trees include: Colorado Blue and Green Spruce, Austrian Pine, Arizona and Leylandii Cypress, Aspen, Maples, Ash, Cottonwood and Willow. We carry all types of ornamental flowering varieties as well as Fruit and Nut trees that do well in our area.
We also carry all types of shrubs, roses, flowers, grapes, berries and veggies to accent your landscape or garden. We have them in many sizes as well to accommodate every budget. We have a large display of drought tolerant trees and shrubs for our water-wise customers. Come on by and wander through our Forest of Evergreens, enjoy our full Greenhouse filled with colorful plants, then stroll down our many rows of trees to take in Nature at its best.
If you are looking for a certain type or variety of plant, flower, shrub or tree, chances are we have it. Select the "Contact Us" link above and make your inquiry. We will get back to you within 48 hours. If you need immediate assistance or you didn't receive a response, please call us at 928-636-3972.
Landscaping & Rocks:
Earthworks Landscape and Supply carries over 70 types of decorative rock, rip rap and soils in bulk for your landscape or garden. With the many colors, shapes and sizes to choose from, your creativity will flourish. We can load your truck or trailer with large to small amounts, or deliver in our trucks directly to your home or business. We have a drive on scale so you know you are getting the correct amount of product. Our rock garden display helps our customers see what a certain rock may look like after installation. Come on by and let us help you complete your dreamscape vision!
Landscape & Garden Supplies:
Earthworks Garden Center is truly your “One Stop Shop” for all of your landscape and garden needs. We are proud to feature Hi Yield and Fertilome products including insect and pest control products, fertilizers, weed control, bag mulches, soils and amendments. We carry a complete line of irrigation and drainage materials and can help you design your irrigation systems. We stock commercial grade weed fabric, gardening tools, grass and vegetable seeds, railroad ties, concrete stepping stones, handy stone, flagstone and the list goes on and on. Our Garden Center is packed with fun and decorative items for your landscape or garden too! We feature colorful Tala Vera pottery, birdbaths, fountains, metal yard art, bird feeders, garden furniture and lots of other fun stuff to choose from.
We look forward to seeing you at the Garden Center!
Earthworks Landscape & Garden Supply • Phone 928-636-3972 • 2531 N. Hwy. 89, Chino Valley, AZ 86323